31 May 2007
The Joy of Cooking
I started cooking when I came here to Toronto and lived in an apartment with Os. Back home, we had the cook to prepare the meals for us. When I initially came here, my Uncle/Aunt cooked for us. There was no chance for me to try cooking. Yes, I cook simple things here and there but nothing special. Now I can cook following the instructions in the cookbook. I also attempt to alter some of the ingredients. I can transform raw materials into a meal. Even the simplest ones. Maybe watching cooking shows made me want to cook. When I was younger, I loved watching Wok With Yan. In fact, it was one of my favorite shows as we don't get much TV stations back in my hometown. I remember it showing on Sunday mornings on Channel 5. And we used to joke around the way Mr. Yan talks. Hi hi hi. Anyways, I also tried baking and I really suck at it. The baked good is either too soft, too mushy, too hard, too dry... arrggh. I vow not to try baking again. HAHA. Chinese cuisine is one of my strength. It's stir-fry easy. Guess Mr. Yan inspired me at an early age. I also love cooking pasta. But I suck at lasagna. We've tried once and it turned out too soggy that we decided to eat it as a regular pasta. HAHA. When I watched the show East Meets West, boy was I appalled at how Ming Tsai can mince garlic is a split of seconds. I guess all professional chefs have that art of mincing garlic or anything that fast! That's it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment